Sunday, May 16, 2010

It's Just a Little Rattling Noise

I'll admit. I'm not the best of car owners. I'll get my oil changed on a semi-regular basis and take my car to the shop only when I hear something that sounds out of place.

After getting my oil changed at a Jiffy Lube a couple of weeks ago (long overdue, I'll admit) I started noticing a faint rattling noise to accompany the slight squeaking in my breaks. Andrew could hear it in the mornings as I pulled out of the driveways. So I made a mental note to bring into the dealership when I got a chance, but it didn't stop me from driving all the way to Bridgeport, CT and back for a business trip last week. Didn't notice any problems and the rattling noise was slight and you could only hear it occasionally.

Which is why I wasn't worried when Amy borrowed my car this weekend to drive down to Westport for a bachelorette party (touring the wineries).  I warned her about the noise she would hear but didn't expect anything to come of it.

What I didn't realize was that the rattling was actually my muffler bouncing around. It got so bad while Amy was driving that she pulled the car over, looking underneath and couldn't find anything wrong. When she pulled into the parking lot of the inn she was staying, my muffler fell completely off the car! Thank goodness she wasn't on the highway when this happened.

So when she returned the car today, this is what was sitting in my trunk:

So yeah. I'll be in work late tomorrow since I'll be dropping my car off at the closest dealership to work. Now I'm afraid of what else they're going to find wrong on the car.

No comments: