Friday, October 14, 2011

Our Side Of The Mountain

Sunday marked the actual day of our anniversary.  We slept in a little bit, but both wanted to get an early start to the day so we could fit in everything we wanted to do.

After I showered, I came back into our room and realized that Andrew had placed the card he gave me and his wedding ring alongside my rings on the bedside table. I couldn't resist snapping a picture because as I looked at the scene, I thought to myself, "Yup, that pretty much sums it up."

Here's a look at where we stayed - Okemo's mountain lodge area. The condo we stayed in was pretty close to the clock tower in the middle of the picture.

Our first step was to head up to the summit of the mountain. In a car, unfortunately, those ski lifts weren't functioning but what a nice ride it would've been.

It was around five miles of winding road amongst the beautifully colored trees:

With lookout points that gave us views like these of the Okemo state forest:

Finally, we reached a little clearing where our car was blocked from going further, marked with a sign telling us the summit was only 0.3 miles away:

I'll be the first to admit that the last 0.3 miles seemed very long, but to be honest, Andrew and I were both "hiking" in our sandals/flip-flops.  Fifteen minutes later, any huffing and puffing was forgotten with this view waiting for us:

Is this Andrew admiring the view? Or looking for the Summit restaurant? While we figured most of the on-mountain facilities and restaurants were closed in the off-season, a little part of us kept hoping to stumble across a convenient breakfast:

With one last look at the scenery around us, it was time to head down to the base of the mountain and find some food!













Wanting to blend in somewhat and enjoy ourselves, I skipped pictures at breakfast.  However, I wanted to give a shout-out to The Hatchery in Ludlow, the breakfast spot we enjoyed so much that we ate there Sunday and Monday morning (word to the wise - bring cash since credit cards aren't accepted!)

No comments: