Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Homemade Pizza Sauce

Homemade pizza sauce is one of those things that is so easy to make that it makes you wonder why you ever defaulted to jar sauce.  While I may not be cooking full-time, I think I'm inching my way into making more things from scratch.  Particularly when I run out of a store-bought version of something and decide to whip up something on the spot.

This recipe is a modified version of one that I found on Allrecipes.com. I made changes based on the recommendations that other people had made in their comments, plus what I had on hand in my cupboards.

1 (15 8 ounce) can tomato sauce (I liked the thicker consistency using just one can of tomato sauce)

1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 tablespoon ground oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced garlic (I used jarred minced garlic)
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon dried onion flakes

As for the directions? Basically just mix the tomato sauce and paste together, and then add all the seasonings. Voila! Delicious looking and tasting pizza sauce:


Throw that on some storebought fresh pizza dough and cover with mozzarella, parmesan and feta cheeses and some bacon for good measure, and you've got Andrew's favorite meal. I swear he would eat this for all three meals, seven days a week if he could.

No comments: